National Dental Hygiene Month is the perfect time to reflect on the importance of oral health. A dental exam and cleaning are essential parts of maintaining good oral hygiene, yet many people don’t schedule regular appointments. Currently, the American Dental Association recommends scheduling dental exams and cleanings with your dentist at least once every six months. In this blog, we will discuss five reasons why you should schedule a dental cleaning.
Dental cleanings are an important part of your oral hygiene routine because they remove tartar, which is plaque that has hardened on the teeth. Tartar can only be removed by a professional cleaning, and it can lead to tooth decay and gum disease if it is not removed. The cleaning itself is quick and painless, and it can help prevent a number of problems down the road.
In coordination with a dental cleaning, a dental exam is also performed. During a dental exam, your dentist will check for cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer. They will also assess the health of your teeth and gums and make recommendations for treatment. This is an important part of maintaining good oral health, as it can help identify problems before they become serious.
There are five main reasons why you should schedule a dental exam and cleaning:
- To prevent tooth decay and gum disease: As we mentioned above, tartar can lead to tooth decay and gum disease if it is not removed. This is because tartar houses the bacteria responsible for causing tooth decay and gum disease. Tartar accumulation also makes it easier for additional plaque to accumulate and harden into more tartar. By scheduling regular cleanings, your dentist can remove excess plaque and tartar so that you can avoid these problems.
- To maximize your oral hygiene routine: A professional cleaning can help remove tartar that you may have missed with at-home brushing and flossing. This can help you keep your teeth and gums healthy in between appointments. Not only that, but this allows your dental hygienist an opportunity to discuss ways to improve your oral hygiene routine so that you are making the most of your at-home routine.
- To get screened for oral cancer: Oral cancer is a serious problem, but it is often treatable if caught early. As a result, most dentists now perform a basic oral cancer screening during your dental exam. During a dental exam, your dentist will check for signs of oral cancer, such as bumps or tissue abnormalities. If they find anything suspicious, they can then refer you for further testing.
- To have potential problems identified before they cause problems: Many dental problems, such as cavities and gum disease, can be treated easily if they are caught early. In fact, some cavities can even be prevented by remineralizing damaged tooth enamel. By seeing your dentist regularly, you can have potential problems identified and treated before they become serious.
- To save money: Dental problems often become more expensive to treat if they are not caught early. This is because problems caught early can be fixed easier, whereas more severe problems often require more invasive treatments. By seeing your dentist regularly, you can avoid costly dental procedures down the road.
In this blog, we discussed five reasons why you should schedule a dental exam and cleaning. We hope that this blog has inspired you to schedule a dental exam and cleaning today to enjoy all of these benefits! National Dental Hygiene Month is the perfect time to start taking care of your oral health.
Dr. Roman Fedorciw has been in private practice in Cromwell since 1991. He is a member of the Academy of General Dentistry, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry and the American Dental Association. He is also a member of the Connecticut Dental Association and Middlesex County Dental Association. Dr. Fedorciw has been acknowledged by his peers as one of the “Top Dentists” in Hartford County by Hartford Magazine and in the state of Connecticut by Connecticut Magazine.