If you are considering a replacement tooth, you might like to know 12 fun facts about dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the most reliable solution for replacing missing teeth. The implant itself is a titanium screw that fuses to the jaw bone, acting as a replacement root for the tooth. It can hold a single crown, multiple crowns, or even a set of dentures. The strength of the implant allows it to restore proper chewing function and can even correct speech issues caused by missing teeth.
How Have Dental Implants And Dentistry Progressed?
- Humans have been utilizing dental implants since 600 AD, as evidenced by a Mayan woman with pieces of shell hammered into her jaw. Other early substitutes for missing teeth included stone.
- Fast forward to 1790 and an American dentist named Josiah Flagg innovated the first dental chair, a modified wooden chair with an adjustable headrest and arm extension to hold dental instruments.
- In 1937, the first screw dental implant was placed, marking the beginning of a new era in dentistry.
- This was followed in 1951 by the formation of the American Academy Of Implant Dentistry, a small group of dentists who sought to share their knowledge of implantology.
- Then, in 1952, Swedish orthopedic surgeon P.I. Branemark made a remarkable discovery. While conducting research, he noticed that titanium naturally fuses with bone and does not get rejected by living tissue. This inspired him to focus his research on developing a system of dental implants, which has proven to be an invaluable asset to the industry.
Did You Know That Modern Dental Implants Are Safe And Convenient?
- Dental implants have been used for more than 30 years to restore the looks and functioning of smiles affected by missing teeth.
- This procedure has gained immense popularity, with an estimated 3 million Americans and 500,000 more every year getting implant surgery.
- Unlike bridges and dentures, dental implants can last for many years, making them a more viable and long-term solution for people with missing teeth.
- Dental implants are not only beneficial for preserving natural bone, but can also act as a stimulant for bone growth. This is because they take the place of missing teeth, filling the gap left behind and therefore stopping bone deterioration that can be caused by a lack of stimulation.
What Should I Know If I Am Interested In Dental Implants?
- Fortunately, many insurance companies in the US now offer coverage for dental implants, making them a more feasible option for those who need them.
- Dental implants are one of the safest and most predictable surgeries in the world when performed by trained and experienced dentists such as your providers at Smile Drs.
- After your dental implant has healed, you can take care of your new replacement tooth by brushing twice a day and flossing regularly, just as with your other teeth.
Am I A Good Candidate For Dental Implants?
If you have missing teeth and are in good overall and oral health, you may be an ideal candidate for dental implants. You must have enough bone mass in the area you wish to have the implants placed. To confirm if you are suitable for the procedure, book a consultation with our experts at Smile Drs.
Doctors Fedorciw, Massoumi & Kolbig in Cromwell, CT have over 30 years of combined dental experience. With their great team and dedication to compassionate and modern dentistry, they ensure that each patient has a great experience. Whether you are in need of family & restorative dental procedures like fillings & cleanings or if you are interested in enhancing your smile with cosmetic dentistry, our office is ready to help. Call 860-635-4666 and schedule your appointment today!